RE: Uniform access to descriptions

From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) <skw@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:35:02 +0000
To: "wangxiao@musc.edu" <wangxiao@musc.edu>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
CC: "Michael K. Bergman" <mike@mkbergman.com>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>

Xiaoshu,

<snip/>

> Jonathan,
>
> I don't want to be annoying.  But please make a clear and objective
> definition of *description* for UA2D.
>
> Honestly, I don't think how you can separate UA2D from httpRange-14
> because you can only define *description* w.r.t.  IR or non-IR.
>
> I bet if you think hard enough, you will find that *description* is the
> same thing as *representation*.  Inventing a synonymy won't solve any
> problem.
>
> Xiaoshu

[In what follows "s/awww:resource/thing" if you prefer]

With apologies for all the 'awww:...'ing, but Pat did ask that we speak very carefully.

That one 'awww:resource' describes another 'awww:resource' (possibly amongst other 'awww:resource') is a relation between 'awww:resources' and other 'awww:resources' which describe them.

A given 'awww:resource' may have one or more 'awww:representations' (ephemeral messages which convey some view of current 'content' of the given 'awww:resource'). Those 'awww:representations' are *not* the give 'awww:resource' they are 'of' it, but they are not 'it'. I think that we, you an I have agreed on that many times already.

'awww:resources' that described also have 'awww:representations', but those are 'awww:representations' of the description (an 'awww:resource' that describes) and *not* 'awww:representations' of the described 'awww:resource'.

Phew...

So... Synonymy? No!

Thanks,

Stuart
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England