Re: Uniform access to descriptions

Jonathan Rees wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2008, at 11:34 PM, Michael K. Bergman wrote:
>> Jonathan Rees wrote:

>>> Don't single out Xiaoshu as there are other dissenters as well...
>>> The first step is an issue summary document (focusing not on
>>> solutions but on use cases), and preparing that can go on in
>>> parallel with discussion of the merits of various solutions.
>>
>> +1 about singling out, but not about "dissenters"
>
> I didn't think "dissent" was a loaded term, sorry. Xiaoshu said "The
> proposed LINK is breaking this orthogonality", and the background was
> the popularity and momentum of the RFC, so it seemed apt even if a bit
> tongue-in-cheek (which never comes off in email).
>
> The use cases are intended to ground the discussion.
>
> We seem to have two discussions in this thread now, one on UA2D and
> one on httpRange-14. I can see a couple of reasons why httpRange-14
> might have reason to come up. A potential semantic web use case is one
> (properties of IRs such as class and stability would be nice, but for
> other things why would you use UA2D when 303 and # work perfectly
> well?). Consistency of description with status codes is another (what
> if the description says one thing but the status code seems to
> contradict it?). I imagine there are others. I'll try to decouple use
> cases from httpRange-14 and to list questions such as consistency
> among those that need to be addressed. I don't want UA2D linked too
> closely to httpRange-14 - it's distracting and probably not necessary.
>
>> This is not about us v them, but us communicating to the broader public.
>>
>> This is not a new concern and it will not go away.  If there is an
>> interest, I have been following these discussions for quite some
>> months and have a lengthy set of references and individuals who have
>> expressed concerns about these matters.
>
> Right now I am very interested in anything you have relating to
> uniform access to descriptions (Link: header and equivalent).
Jonathan,

I don't want to be annoying.  But please make a clear and objective
definition of *description* for UA2D.

Honestly, I don't think how you can separate UA2D from httpRange-14
because you can only define *description* w.r.t.  IR or non-IR.

I bet if you think hard enough, you will find that *description* is the
same thing as *representation*.  Inventing a synonymy won't solve any
problem.

Xiaoshu