Re: properties of the Internet as foundation of the Web

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:07:21 +0000
To: Chris Wilper <cwilper@cs.cornell.edu>
CC: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Chris Wilper wrote:
> FWIW, here are two that immediately come to mind for me:
>
> property : hostnames independent of network topo
> tech     : dns
> value2web: robust linking
>
> property : efficient packet delivery
> tech     : tcp/ip, routers
> value2web: timely http message delivery

Property : Clean layer model
Tech     : IP stack
Value2Web: Simplicity. Clear definition of "application protocol" for
http to fulfil.

Property : Protocol independence.
Tech     : IP stack
Value2Web: Ability to use encrypted connections when desired by
including SSL etc. Free gains of benefits in IP or TCP technology.

Property : Media-independent layering
Tech     : TCP/IP
Value2Web: "Free" adoption of new physical layer technologies once
TCP/IP has been implemented on it.

Some non-technical ones that may still be worth considering (though the
web was to later become a big factor in these very properties increasing):

Property : Large installed base
Value2Web: Low adoption cost

Property : Large technically-proficient community with gift-culture economy.
Value2Web: Free labour.

Property : Freely available patent-free implementations.
Value2Web: Low adoption cost. Low development cost.