RE: Defined sets, accept sets, and <banana> elements

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:37:57 -0500
To: "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: "John Cowan" <cowan@ccil.org>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>, <www-tag@w3.org>

>I'm not sure what "replace by content" means in this context. If it's an
>XML element that isn't thrown away from the infoset, is it really

Suggestion: what it means is the meaning of a
document with it is the same as the meaning you
get by replacing it by whatever is in it. So

is exactly equivalent to

This is exactly how we defined the 'no-meaning'
meaning of comments in CL: a comment wrapper is
transparent in the sense that an expression with
one (surrounding it) is exactly equivalent to the
same expression without one.

Pat Hayes

>I have a feeling that the usage of Ignore that we've had for the past
>decade or so really means "ignore for the purposes of validation", that
>is don't break.  Perhaps a better phrasing that "Must Ignore Unknowns"
>is "Must not fault on Unknowns".  Outside of the validation, there are a
>wide variety of ways that the so-called extra content is handled.

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell