RE: Defined sets, accept sets, and <banana> elements

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:45:42 -0700
To: "John Cowan" <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>, <www-tag@w3.org>

I'm not sure what "replace by content" means in this context. If it's an
XML element that isn't thrown away from the infoset, is it really
replaced?

I have a feeling that the usage of Ignore that we've had for the past
decade or so really means "ignore for the purposes of validation", that
is don't break.  Perhaps a better phrasing that "Must Ignore Unknowns"
is "Must not fault on Unknowns".  Outside of the validation, there are a
wide variety of ways that the so-called extra content is handled.

Cheers,
Dave