Re: Terminology (was Re: article on URIs, is this material that can be used by the)

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:17:20 -0400
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Henry S. Thompson scripsit:

> Hmm -- I'm less happy here.  Leaving aside the political science
> meanings, seems to me there are two primary ordinary-language meanings
> of 'represent':

Here are the meanings of 'representation' from the OED, omitting the
political, the abstract, and the obsolete:

2. a. An image, likeness, or reproduction in some manner of a thing.

2. b. A material image or figure; a reproduction in some material or
tangible form; in later use esp. a drawing or painting (of a person
or thing).

3. a. The exhibition of character and action upon the stage; the (or a)
performance of a play.

5. a. A formal and serious statement of facts, reasons, or arguments,
made with a view to effecting some change, preventing some action, etc.;
hence, a remonstrance, protest, expostulation.

Make of these what you will.

--
John Cowan    cowan@ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
The whole of Gaul is quartered into three halves.