Re: Terminology (was Re: article on URIs, is this material that can be used by the)

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:56:17 -0400
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Pat Hayes scripsit:

> I agree that they are different, but I think you say this wrong.
> Neither of them requires interpretation to be what they ARE. But they
> both require interpretation to be understood as ABOUT Bill Clinton;
> although we usually call it 'recognition' in the first case.

As a face-blind person, someone who lacks the ability to subconsciously
recognize faces and has to recognize them (if at all) using laborious
conscious processing of specific features, I can only agree.  I have
to "read" a picture to know that it's of Bill Clinton.

(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia for details.)

--
John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Today an interactive brochure website, tomorrow a global content