Re: article on URIs, is this material that can be used by the

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:54:22 -0500
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, SWEOIG?@ccil.org, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, www-tag@w3.org

>Henry S. Thompson scripsit:
>
>>  I did say 'to some extent'.  A photograph of a painting of George V
>>  surely depicts George V, and an MP3 of a wax cylinder of a player
>>  piano roll of Rubenstein playing the Hammerklavier is still a
>>  rendering of the Hammerklavier.
>
>Indeed, I will go further and say that "represent" *is* transitive,
>when properly separated from types of description that are not
>representation.

What types of description are not representations? Is a musical score
a representation of music? Is Labanotation a representation of a
dance? Is a list of driving instructions (turn left, go 15.2 miles,
turn right,... ) a representation of a route? Is a list of boundary
points a representation of a building plot? Is a list of convex
solids encoded using cyclic homology with numerical coordinates for
vertex points a representation of a 3-d object in a CAD system?

I would say 'none' for the first question and 'yes' for all the others.

>  There is a limitation on the length of transitive
>chains ...

Yes, if "represent" means "copy". But it doesn't, in most of the
English-speaking world.

Pat
IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell