Re: article on URIs, is this material that can be used by the SWEO IG?

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:12:30 -0400
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Tim Berners-Lee scripsit:

> When the word Representation is used, I prefer to use it strictly for
> the relationship between an information resource such as a page about
> a person and the (metadata, bits) pair, and not for the relationship
> between the person described and the (metadata, bits) pair.

Suit yourself, of course.

But I prefer to suppose that the (metadata, bits) pair you get when
fetching http://www.heritage.org/images/shakespeare.jpg is not merely a
representation of that particular JPEG, but also of Shakespeare himself,
as the publisher of that particular resource must surely have intended --
they would scarcely have bothered to publish it if they meant it to be
just some JPEG rather than a picture of Shakespeare.

--
John Cowan   http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan@ccil.org
In might the Feanorians / that swore the unforgotten oath