Re: The meaning of "representation"

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:43:00 -0500
To: wangxiao@musc.edu
Cc: Chimezie Ogbuji <chimezie@gmail.com>, Mikael Nilsson <mikael@nilsson.name>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Xiaoshu Wang wrote:

> Noah, I am lost.  I don't think we disagree anything there.
> But I am not sure what is your point.

My point was so answer what you asked, and to clarify that I don't
consider it to be the case that the "information *is* the bit-stream".

> If I have a URI say, http://example.com/trafficelight to denote
> the traffic light in front of my office.  You said that you
> want me to 303 to your http://example.com/lightStatus, how? You
> need four URI for that.  Second, what if I want to describe the
> hight, or material, or other information of that traffic light.
> What am I going to do?  How do I know what a user want?

I don't think I'm suggesting anything other than the TAG's resolution of
httpRange14.  As I mentioned in my earlier note, I think we've spent
enough of the list's time on this, so I'd propose that we need not pursue
this in more detail.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street