Re: New draft of Elaborated Infosets document (xmlFunctions-34)

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:33:18 +0000
To: www-tag@w3.org

ht writes:

> As several editorial notes therein suggest, I'm not at all sure how to
> integrate this [1] into Web Architecture.  There are at least two
> (partially interdependent) questions this draft doesn't answer:
> 1) What is the role of the application in controlling the elaboration
>    process?
> 2) What is the right model for the relationship between elaboration,
>    understood as the specification/construction of an infoset, and
>    application semantics, particularly in the case of mixed namespace
>    documents?

I have delved pretty deep into this question over the last 10 days,
and produced an attempt at a formalisation of an answer [2].  Comments
invited.  Warning -- there be greek letters (including lambda) and
upside-down As and such-like in it.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/elabInfoset/
[2] http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/compositional.pdf
- --