RE: New TAG issue: TagSoupIntegration-54

From: Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 12:04:27 -0500
To: <www-tag@w3.org>

>> The only use case that needs this stuff is an XML editor, and that's a
very special use case.

The only?  I'm pretty sure there are more.  As an aside, you know it's
logically impossible to prove a negative, right?

>> Every other example I've seen where people were trying to depend on
details like this, they were in fact doing themselves moderate to severe
damage in the process.

Unfortunately I can't remember my use-case because it's been a few years,
but I'm pretty sure it was valid.  I'll try to dredge it up from my psyche
and reply later.
That said, what was far worse about XSLT was:

-- No standard node-set function
-- Inability to chain transforms recursively w/o intermedite processing
because of entity expansion rules.

I count XSLT as one of the tech standards where a good idea went bad.
JMTCW, anyway.

-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/
http://www.welldesignedurls.org/