The MWI device repository

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 08:23:47 -0400
Cc: Vincent Vincent Quint <Vincent.Quint@inrialpes.fr>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
To: W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>

A possible question for the TAG is about the wisdom of repositories
in general, and what applies in this case.  It is a fairly well-
established aspect of the Web architecture that instead of
repositories, wherever possible, a set of web pages, to which anyone
can add their own, is more scalable.

However, I understand here that the history is that  phone
manufacturers were not (for some reason) prepared to actually put
data files online expressing the parameters of the phone.
In practice, databases have been set up by third parties.

Note that this requirements document sets out not just repository
query but also update and change notification.  It would be
interesting to see how the requirements match against the things the
DAWG group has considered for possible future work.

I suggest review by the DAWG and the TAG.

Tim

from http://www.w3.org/Mobile/