Re: registering formats in the web [uriMediaType-9] [Fwd: Request for MIME media type Application/Personal Tree - prs.]

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:08:56 -0500
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Mark Baker wrote:
> Well, that's a whole lot of deployed code to change.  Moreover, as I
> mentioned earlier, it would seem to require a coordinated upgrade of
> all software otherwise you'd have the upgraded part of the Web
> behaving incompatibly with the non-upgraded part.

I am currently biased towards copy and paste or drag-and-drop so this
may explain my troubles to understand.

As long as the need for parameters does not arise, I think it is safe to
ignore them.
Only when a pair of applications actually needs a type with parameter,
will there be the need to support them.

I expect, indeed transfer mechanisms, such as copy-and-paste or
drag-and-drop libraries, as well as http libraries and intermediates to
pass them around... but that is not a challenge, or ?

I am not sure I understand what dispatching means in the next paragraph.

thanks

paul