Re: Yet another victim of the "we need our own URN" myth: New Zealand

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:01:21 -0500
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, www-tag@w3.org

On 2/9/06, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>It would be better for the TAG to
> write a finding that contradicts the long-held and foolish opinion
> in the IETF that made-up name registries like URN are somehow better
> than made-up name registries like DNS.

We tried doing that[1] in the IETF, partly in response to
uriMediaType-9[2], and though we had some support, we didn't drive it
hard enough IMO.

Actually, I'm supposed to upgrade it to address BCP 81 (aka RFC
3688[3]) shortly.  Stay tuned.

 [1]
http://www.markbaker.ca/2002/09/draft-connolly-w3c-accessible-registries-00.txt
 [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#uriMediaType-9