Re: Minutes of the Web Services Addressing / TAG joint meeting

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:39:51 -0500
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: public-ws-addressing@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

Thanks Mark.  I had attempted to represent your position and apparently
came close but didn't quite nail the details.

Mark Baker writes:

> (quoting the minutes...NRM)
>
> ] So, I think Mark has fairly clearly stated that
> ] he wants the URI >only< at the HTTP level, not
> ] duplicated.

> Duplication is generally a bad idea IMO, so it
> would be nice that any solution avoid it.

I remembered your saying that before, and I apparently misquoted it as
representing the net of your position.

> But my concern is just that the URI needs to make
> it to the application protocol envelope, and if
> duplication is required for that to happen, then
> that's fine by me.

Thank you for the clarification.

FWIW, that's at least generally my position too.  Restating in my words:
it's important to make at least a serious effort to properly use an
"underlying" protocol such as HTTP.  Duplication has serious downsides,
but also some advantages, and may be a reasonable compromise in some
cases, perhaps this one.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street