Re: [XMLVersioning-41] Comments and Suggestions on Draft Extensibility Finding

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:41:07 +0000
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, www-tag@w3.org

At 12:30 20/02/05 -0500, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
>Taken together, the above represent a proposal to focus the finding less
>on the details of particular XML constructions, and more on the general
>versioning and evolution strategies that are likely to be essential to the
>Web's and XML's continued success.  ...
-- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Feb/0186.html

I agree with most if not all of Noah's message.  I've also read an earlier
version of Dave Orchard's note, and agree that it is a most positive
contribution.

Below, I indicate a use-case that may support Noah's view:

There's a particular issue of versioning/evolution that has been exercising
the group I'm working with, exemplified by [1].  We are, among other
things, using ontologies to capture domain knowledge applied to
life-science research data, especially with respect to bioinformatics and
systems biology.  In this field, the domain knowledge is changing -- this
is, after all, the purpose of research work -- and ontologies must evolve
to accommodate the growing knowledge base.

Currently, ontologies are used by life-scientists in a number of different
syntactic forms (OWL, XML, non-web), so the problem of ontology evolution
would usefully be addressed in a syntax-independent manner (though the
approach contemplated by [1] is OWL/RDF-focused).  If it's not too great a
stretch to achieve, a finding that can accommodate approaches to evolution
of semantic information could be helpful.

#g
--

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swls-ws/2004Sep/0012.html

Graham Klyne