Re: Significant W3C Confusion over Namespace Meaning and Policy

On Feb 17, 2005, at 18:11, ext Harry Halpin wrote:

> However, it does seem like a namespace document would be a sensible
> place to put such a schema, although - of course - it's not required.
> One could put the schema anywhere - however,  then the question is how
> to find it.
> DocBook documents could be defined by their schema, and one could
> find the schema in the namespace document
> (http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/...) or somewhere else entirely,
> like your hard drive. I think the reason people are talking at
> cross-hairs is
> that they think the pro-"namespace document" camp are saying that it
> would be useful to upgrade RDDL or something like it to help with
> versioning issues, and the anti-"namespace document" camp thinks that
> we want to make having a namespace document a necessary condition of
> the namespace URI - which as the spec says and use shows, is obviously
> not true. However, as a *optional* place to put things like versioning
> info, a namespace document seems just as good as a URI.

We need a consistent, standardized, and (potentially) globally
ubiquitous solution which provides effective discovery of
information about the models needed to properly interpret
data instances.

Namespace documents fail to provide such a solution.

Adding versioning support (however that might be done) will not
enable namespace documents to be less ambiguous or more
ubiquitous.

Patrick