Re: Significant W3C Confusion over Namespace Meaning and Policy

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:08:37 +0100
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Tim Bray wrote:
> - The assertions about necessary linkage between namespaces and
> versioning policy are similarly inoperative.  There is no general policy
> in place and no chance of getting one.

I agree that it would be impossible to find a policy that everyone could
use, however a few sane guidelines would go a long way.

> At the end of the day I'm basically not worried.  Xml:id is demonstrably
> a solution to a non-problem anyhow.  There is currently no basis in any
> normative specification for software receiving data served as */xml to
> expect ID attributes to be defined, and we've sailed along for five
> years or so now without this resulting in much breakage.

Not much breakage (since the problems it caused broke long before
reaching production) but a lot of pain and ugly work-arounds. It
definitely is a solution to a problem.

--
Robin Berjon
   Research Scientist