Re: Significant W3C Confusion over Namespace Meaning and Policy

John Boyer wrote:
> And why would this stop the processors in a particular
> domain from attempting to process documents of a higher
> version (albeit with reduced or erroneous functionality)?

If the namespace URI changes, the processor doesn't know that it's
dealing with a different version of the same language — how could it,
the names of all the elements have changed?

The only way to achieve what you describe would be to build processors
with knowledge of structuration within the namespace URI it, eg.
http://foo.org/myLang/v6 such that it can recognize that
http://foo.org/myLang/v7 is the next version of the same language. But I
don't think that's a reasonable assumption, and it breaks the way in
which many, many XML tools are used.

I don't see any example you cite not being solved by keeping the same
namespace and adding a mandatory version attribute.

--
Robin Berjon
   Research Scientist