Andrew Layman and Don Box Analysis of XML Optimization Techniques

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:30:37 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: andrewl@microsoft.com, "Don Box" <dbox@microsoft.com>, "Paul Cotton" <pcotton@microsoft.com>

The TAG has recently given some attention telcons to the question of
Binary XML and to the conclusions of the XML Binary Characterization
Working Group [1].  I've recently become aware of an analysis by Andrew
Layman and Don Box that may be of interest [2].  I believe their work
supports the following conclusions:

* An alternative to binary XML, Andrew and Don show that a LISP-like text
syntax "(...) may optimize better than the existing "<...>" approach.

* As some of us stated repeatedly, detailed experimental measurements and
even formal performance models are essential to justifying any particular
approach to optimization.
I suggest we consider these important results in any future discussions.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/04/05-tagmem-minutes.html
[2] http://strongbrains.com/misc/XMLPerf20050401.htm

Noah Mendelsohn