Re: Information Resources? (naming things on the Web)

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:50:59 +0100
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

Quoting "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>:

> > <http://www.w3.org/People/thompson/>
> > <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/creator> <http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/>
> > .
> I wasn't aware of an agreed form for triples -- your form looks fine
> too.

The distinction here is between the above and

<http://www.w3.org/People/thompson/> <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/creator>
"http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/" .

Which mentions rather than uses the URI http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/ and claims
that the URI is the creator, which is plainly nonsense but the following isn't

"http://www.w3.org/People/thompson/" .

Examples could be found that are neither nonsense nor tautologous but in
practice mentioning URIs isn't all that commonly useful.

Jon Hanna
"I don't like to LOOK out of the windows even - there are so many of those
creeping women, and they creep so fast."
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman, _The Yellow Wallpaper_