Re: referendum on httpRange-14 (was RE: "information resource")

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:06:19 -0400
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
cc: Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM, www-tag@w3.org

> > Seriously, I'm writing this while procrastinating about answering this
> > for myself in Ontaria.  I need a tab on which to display information
> > about any resource for which dereference worked, and I'm not sure what
> > users are going to want to see on that tab.  I'm also not sure what to
> > call it (ie what the class name is), but I'm leaning towards=20
> > "Document".
>
> I think the only safe class name would be "Resource".

I think it's at least "Web Resource" -- a member of the class of
things which are identified by at least one dereferenceable URI.
Maybe there's a better name for that class....   Things identified
only by mailto:, tag:, and urn: URIs wont be in this class.  (I have
no plans to include a URN resolver.)

It's odd to present it as a property of the thing, though, since it's
pretty far removed from its intrinsic properties.  Maybe I should
present it as a property of the URI (a particular kind of character
string).  But that's also weird.....

      --- sandro