RE: 27 Jan 2004 Draft finding "Client handling of authoritative metadata" available

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 21:54, Paul Cotton wrote:
> I continue to be uneasy about the possible lack of reality in part of
> this finding.
>
> In particular I am concerned about the statement:
>
> "Recipients SHOULD detect inconsistencies between representation data
> and metadata but MUST NOT resolve them without the consent of the user
> (e.g., by securing permission or at least providing notification)."
>
> I think this part of the finding needs to at least admit that there is a
> usability factor that is on the other side of this MUST NOT equation.
>
> If recipients were to ask or to warn a user every time they dealt with
> an inconsistency between representation data and metadata, I think a
> large number of users would be disappointed with the large number of
> prompts/warning messages they would receive due to the large amount of
> inconsistency that exists in the web today between representation data
> and metadata.

Hi Paul,

There is no requirement for interaction with the user each
time an inconsistency is detected. Section 4.3 provides an
example where the agent would remain silent after a single
user configuration.

Can you suggest some specific text?

 _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447