RE: 27 Jan 2004 Draft finding "Client handling of authoritative metadata" available

From: Paul Cotton <pcotton@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:54:48 -0800
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>

I continue to be uneasy about the possible lack of reality in part of
this finding.

In particular I am concerned about the statement:

"Recipients SHOULD detect inconsistencies between representation data
and metadata but MUST NOT resolve them without the consent of the user
(e.g., by securing permission or at least providing notification)."

I think this part of the finding needs to at least admit that there is a
usability factor that is on the other side of this MUST NOT equation.

If recipients were to ask or to warn a user every time they dealt with
an inconsistency between representation data and metadata, I think a
large number of users would be disappointed with the large number of
prompts/warning messages they would receive due to the large amount of
inconsistency that exists in the web today between representation data
and metadata.

I think the finding needs to note this tradeoff.

/paulc

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com