Re: What does http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP identify?

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:31:09 GMT
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>

David Orchard  wrote

  If we have "blown" the issue of compatible evolution of a URI, then I think
  we should figure out the right way forward in general rather than hack
  something architecturally inconsistent.

We had the same issue for MathML.

MathML 2 (2nd Ed) does re-use the "short" URI for MathML 2 (1st Ed)
although that is a different short uri from MathML 1.
At the suggestion of the W3C Publication team we made this explicit
in the formal frontmatter section of the MathML 2 Rec, which states

  This version:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-MathML2-20031021/

  Latest MathML 2 version:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/

  Latest MathML Recommendation:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML/

In ther words all three of those URI currently give you the same
document, but

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-MathML2-20031021/
will always give you MathML 2.0 2nd ed.

http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/
Will give you MathML 2.1 or MathML 2.0 3rd edition should there ever be
such a thing.

http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML/
will give you MathML 3 if there will ever be such a thing.

The MathML version of xmlspec dtd and stylesheets have some support for
this frontmatter style,

David

http://www.star.net.uk