Re: TAG Last Call comments on xml:id

From: Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 04:51:28 -0500
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: public-xml-id@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 12:58:59AM +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
> The TAG would however still be interested to know how Core plans to test
> xml:id in the Candidate Review period to ensure that the constraints in
> the document are adequately exercised. Are there any XML processors
> (schema or DTD based) that already implement this, or do you know of

  libxml2 implements xml:id, maybe not as of the last draft, but very
closely. It also has DTD, RelaxNG and an incomplete W3C XML Schemas support.
Support was added in version 2.6.9 released Apr 18 2004. If you use recent
Linux, MacOS X or a Solaris your version of libxml2 is likely to have
xml:id support enabled by default.

> implementations in the works? What about DOM implementations, CSS
> implementations, and implementations that resolve barename fragment
> identifiers in XML resources?

  The XPointer/XPath/XSLT/XMLDSig implementations based on libxml2 should
already make use of xml:id if present in the instances. I'm not sure about
librsvg SVG implementation it would need some checking.

Daniel