Re: [Minutes] 29 Sep 2003 TAG teleconf (Arch Doc, mtg planning)

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:44:00 -0700
To: www-tag@w3.org

>    [TBray]
>           grr you don't need both quotes and <code> for URIs in stories

FYI, that is false and explicitly mentioned in RFC 2396.
When URIs appear in text (which is the output product of the
markup), they must be delimited from punctuation to avoid incorrect
interpretation [something that occurred many times when using the
Apple Mail agent to respond to the old text without quotes].  If it
were XSLT-based, I'd simply use a more distinctive tag than <code>,
and if the original were plain text then I would use angle brackets,
but as HTML source generating printed and possibly archived material,
the quotes are the best solution.

....Roy