RE: Arch Doc: 26 September 2003 Editor's Draft

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: 26 Sep 2003 17:25:30 -0400
To: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 17:01, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> I guess we have to live with the imprecision of
> natural language where terms are related out
> of context to cope with our inability to express
> a logical definition.  Selah.
>
> "The World Wide Web is an information space."
>
> So is the trunk of our Ford Focus after my
> wife loads it up with bags of bar coded groceries.
>
> If all of the 'documents' that can be retrieved
> by dereferencing a URI were to simultaneously
> disappear, what would be left?

In tweaking Roy's proposal, I hoped to call out
more clearly three concepts that have been discussed
lately: information space, information system, and
web architecture. They are not precisely defined
in this draft of the document, but there is a clearer
sense (thanks to comments from folks on the list)
that the info space is shared by more than one info
system.

Whatever those are.

I expect we will either be more precise about what
those are, or decide we don't need to be.

Suggestions welcome!

 _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447