[closed] Re: problems with www-tag

Hi Martin.

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Martin Duerst wrote:

> Dear sysreq,
>
> I suddenly noticed yesterday that I'm no longer getting any
> mail from www-tag. The last mail I got is on March 5th,
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Mar/0009.html.
> Nevertheless,
> http://cgi.w3.org/team-bin/MailingListQuery.pl?queryList=www-tag
> claims that I'm subscribed.
> There haven't been too many mails on www-tag since then, but
> many enough to make this really suspicious. The last one is
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Mar/0024.html.
>
> [One could also say that there are so few mails these days
> on www-tag for that itself to be suspicious.]
>
> Please investigate and fix this problem.

I believe the problem may have been (it has now been corrected) that there
was an unbalanced, extraneous ">" in one of the addresses recently added
to the list dist file.

frink: /home/lists/www-tag> grep ">" dist
guido.grassel@nokia.com>

frink: /home/lists/www-tag> ls -al dist
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ot       lists       5716 Mar 17 12:17 dist

It would appear that the problem existed before the last recorded mtime of
the file.

The below indicates that Guido attempted to subscribe, sent a flawed
subscription, then corrected it a few seconds later.  I don't know if this
is the actual flow of things, but that is the external appearance.

frink: /home/lists/www-tag> grep grassel log
subscribe: guido.grassel@nokia.com> by: guido.grassel@nokia.com  Wed Mar  5 11:20:24 EST 2003
subscribe: guido.grassel@nokia.com by: guido.grassel@nokia.com  Wed Mar  5 11:20:32 EST 2003

I have removed the character and mail should resume normal delivery to the
list.

This breakage, in response to your latter question, would have indeed
hindered normal delivery.  However the dist file is edited, specail care
should be taken to not inadvertantly insert extaneous characters.

Simon

--
Simon J. Hernandez    |    http://people.w3.org/simon/    |   simon@w3.org
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)                          http://www.w3.org