Re: Arch Doc: 23 June 2003 Editor's Draft (equivalence -> coreference)

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: 25 Jun 2003 14:21:18 -0400
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 18:20, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 13:52, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The 23 June 2003 Editor's Draft of "Architecture of
> > the World Wide Web" [1] is now available.
> [...]
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2003/webarch-20030623
>
> -- 2.1. Comparing Identifiers
>
> I'm still not comfortable with the phrase "URI equivalence";
> it suggests that it's a property of the URIs themselves.
> But's more a property of how they're bound to resources.

Section 6.1 [1] of RFC2396bis is entitled "Equivalence". The
section begins:

  "Since URIs exist to identify resources, presumably they should
   be considered equivalent when they identify the same resource.
   However, such a definition of equivalence is not of much
   practical use, since there is no way for software to compare
   two resources without knowledge of their origin."

I think that we will end up discussing both concepts in
the Arch Doc:

 * Equivalence of URIs as strings
 * Whether both URIs identify the same resource.

as well as the relationship between those concepts.

 _ Ian

[1]
http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html#equivalence

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447