Re: [metaDataInURI-31]: Initial draft finding for public review/comme nt.

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Norman Walsh" <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
To: <www-tag@w3.org>
Sent: 10 July, 2003 22:12
Subject: Re: [metaDataInURI-31]: Initial draft finding for public
review/comme nt.

> Handed a random URI about which you know nothing, my position is that
> it is opaque and you've got no business peeking inside it trying to
> guess stuff.

Precisely.

And if you want to know more about the resource denoted, you can
(eventually, ideally) use

GET <someURI> HTTP/1.1
URI-Resolution-Mode: Description

to obtain a concise and authoritative description of the resource, and one
that
can be modified freely and frequently without any impact to the lexical
persistence
and hence functional longevity of the URI denoting the resource in question.

And no unnecessary constraints are placed on the creation of URIs in order
to meet the needs of knowledge discovery.

Cheers,

Patrick

--

Patrick Stickler