Re: argument from authority considered pointless

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> The TAG should take seriously banning all posting to this mailing list
> other than by moderation or by TAG members, so that maybe the TAG
> members can use it as a discussion forum to accomplish the tasks we
> are trying to accomplish rather than pandering to the continual
> diatribe of special interests.  I'd like to have a discussion
> with TimBL on this subject rather than the dozens of people who
> claim to know what he is thinking.

Strong agreement, from one that would be kicked off. Ac reps and wg
chairs should be given permission to post.

> As far as argument from authority, I expect anyone posting to this list
> to do their homework before posting, not use it as forum to ask the
> authorities to answer specification questions that are already answered
> in the specification.  This is not a class, and I will not do your
> homework for you.  This is a workplace where participants are expected
> to help do the work or SHUT UP.  I have far more respect for argument
> from authority than I do for argument by speculation and argument from
> ignorance.

No need to shout; Everyone here reads your posts at least twice.

Anyway. The canon of specs for the web are inconsistent and are
unclear. No argument please - if what was written was easily
intepreted, the web wouldn't need an ad-hoc judiciary in the form of
the TAG. So if findings and advisement are going to presented this
time around, get a technical editor involved. Be at least as useful
and productive than putting an ACL on this list.

Bill de hÓra