Re: argument from authority considered pointless

> Despite that perpetual impasse, is there any chance that the TAG could
> take seriously its commitment to public discussion rather than batting
> away anyone who happens to disagree with views held by practically no
> one except a core of supposed URI experts?

The TAG should take seriously banning all posting to this mailing list
other than by moderation or by TAG members, so that maybe the TAG
members can use it as a discussion forum to accomplish the tasks we
are trying to accomplish rather than pandering to the continual
diatribe of special interests.  I'd like to have a discussion
with TimBL on this subject rather than the dozens of people who
claim to know what he is thinking.

> Comments like the above - which are far from unusual in the URI space -
> do absolutely nothing to further the conversation.

If you hadn't deleted the context, you would note that I was responding
specifically to Sandro placing opinions into mine and TimBL's minds.
He is welcome to share his opinions.  He is not welcome to assume mine,
particularly when they are in regard to IETF editorial discussions
in which he did not participate.

As far as argument from authority, I expect anyone posting to this list
to do their homework before posting, not use it as forum to ask the
authorities to answer specification questions that are already answered
in the specification.  This is not a class, and I will not do your
homework for you.  This is a workplace where participants are expected
to help do the work or SHUT UP.  I have far more respect for argument
from authority than I do for argument by speculation and argument from
ignorance.

....Roy