RE: Clarifying what a URL identifies (Four Uses of a URL)

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 16:34, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> [...]

There's an intended difference between how other people use an
identifier and how you, the entity with authority over that identifier,
intends it to be used. I can claim that http://www.25hoursaday.com is
actually an identifier for me but since I'm not authoritative for it no
one is going to believe me....

> > It's a formalism.  The Web Architecture has a formalism
> > called a "Resource" which is the one thing that corresponds
> > to each URI.
>
> This statement is meaningless and yet W3C TAG members keep repeating it.
> What is the one resource that the URI "http://www.w3.org/Consortium/"
> identifies?

The Resource that has that identifier. You can point to it, it just is
by virtue of the URI existing. Its a platonic 'Resource'. It doesn't
exist physically or virtually. It just _is_. Things can claim to be
representations of it, but nothing can ever actually _be_ it.

-MM