Re: URI Opacity Principle (was: Re: use of fragments as names is irresponsible)

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:15:42 -0800
To: Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com>
Cc: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> Hopefully if the architecture document says anything in this direction
> it will lean away from URI opacity. The opacity of URIs is a problem for
> in XML application, specifically those that use XML namespaces. A number
> of issues that come up in XML applications would be a lot easier to
> solve (e.g. how does one version XML namespaces?) if namespace names
> were structured and not just glorified UUIDs.

It seems to me that it is *never* appropriate to guess at media-types or
semantics by picking apart URIs in a computer program.  It is entirely
fair and often desirable to use the design of URIs to convey information
about the hierarchical structure of an information space, and to provide
a suggestion to the human reader about what might be there. -Tim