RE: URI Opacity Principle (was: Re: use of fragments as names is irresponsible)

From: Sandro Hawke [mailto:sandro@w3.org]

>But that's not how KR languages are generally defined.  "An
>interpretation must specify which object in the world is referred to
>by each constant symbol."  [IAMA p186].  To say instead that "An
>interpretation must specify which objects in the world are referred to
>by each constant symbol," well..., I'm not exactly sure of all the
>consequences, but it doesn't sound so good to me.

Humans master name selectors based on context.  That's pretty much
what semiotics is about.  KR associates logic with notation.
URI/names have to be associated with functions (GET) which rely
on other functions (Get(notation(locationType(mightBeAnIDMightNot)))).

They all work.  The unreasonable position is that
URIs just magically work. Names are assigned to thing(s).
volitionally by humans or by code.  What they do with that
assignment is a system feature and in a namespace of overloaded
names, that is a local system selector.  Selector conflicts
appear at a global level as noise and that manifests as
confusing signs/names.  Result:  the astonished primate
looking at the blue clickable URI in the xmlns value.

What do KR systems do about noisy data?

>> We could lead if we could get the lead out.

>But do we know where to go or is there no where to go?

"Keep to the sunny side..." Mother Maybelle Carter

len