RE: Options for dealing with IDs

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:01:17 -0600
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

<rabbitTrail>And at some point designers will face the fact
that IDs are only one way to address into a document.  There
is more than one way to achieve an address for a link to use.
IDs are a special case.</rabbitTrail>

<phil>I don't believe we will solve the problems of intent
without validation or muckery in the URI.  Intent
is documented and if documented by declaration,
validatible.  The more things hardwired in the
xml namespace, the more XML is diminished.</phil>

len

From: Micah Dubinko [mailto:MDubinko@cardiff.com]

If we're struggling with this, I don't feel good about how the less-geeky
web designers out there will fare.

What folks really need is a way to easily express author intent of links and
IDs, without getting tangled in validation.