RE: Options for dealing with IDs

Len wrote:
> <rabbitTrail>And at some point designers will face the fact
> that IDs are only one way to address into a document.  There
> is more than one way to achieve an address for a link to use.
> IDs are a special case.</rabbitTrail>

This is asking about the why and what. Prior debate focussed on
how. A step forward IMO.
  If ID's are a special case, the general idea of recognising
this point in a chunk of XML could be extended or refined as
a move forward (as Micah pointed out) to permit the recognition
of any point within the content of an element. I'm sure in 1986
the idea of identifying simply the start of an element was
a good step forward, today I'm not sure its enough. The 'why'
it needs to be recognised (my view) solely relates to navigation
or location.

What difference will that make to the question being asked?
How might XML move forward with a location identity (stepping over
the idea of recognising a range) that enables not only the start of
an element to be located, but any point within that element.

Micah:
> What folks really need is a way to easily express author
> intent of links and
> IDs, without getting tangled in validation.

Unsure about bringing ID's into it, but the idea of this sentance
is pretty cogent. Its certainly the right audience for the answer.

regards DaveP

** snip here ***

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk