Re: Draft 2 of "How to Compare URIs"

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:41:35 -0800
To: Paul Cotton <pcotton@microsoft.com>
Cc: WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>

Paul Cotton wrote:

> I have discovered that a significant amount of existing code already
> uses upper case A-through-F characters when %-escaping.  I wonder upon
> what grounds you recommend the use of lower-case?

Aesthetic.  It's hard to believe there's a technical advantage either way.

> In particular we should note that the XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Functions
> and Operators escape-uri() function [1] recommends the use of upper
> case:

Blecch.  My personal experience is that I see more lower-case than
upper-case, but clearly both are loose in the world.  Is there some
research behind the XQuery draft's position or was it an arbitrary
choice?  Do I detect the impact of SQL upper-case culture?

Anyhow, the interoperability benefit is achieved if people pick one or
the other, doesn't matter which.  I suggest that if we discover that
there is noticeably more upper-case than lower-case, we pick upper-case,
otherwise lower-case.  -Tim