RE: Draft 2 of "How to Compare URIs"

From: Paul Cotton <pcotton@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:54:18 -0500
To: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: "WWW-Tag" <www-tag@w3.org>

> Is there some research behind the XQuery draft's position or was it
> an arbitrary choice?

It represents the views of the W3C member companies involved in the
definition of XQuery and XPath.  I have to believe they voted with their
implementations in mind.

>Do I detect the impact of SQL upper-case culture?

I guess by "upper-case culture" you mean the culture that puts reserved
words in SQL in upper case.  It is possible that people believe that
using upper case A-through-F makes the %-escaping more obvious as it
does keywords in various programming languages.  But I have no data to
prove this assertion.

> I suggest that if we discover that
> there is noticeably more upper-case than lower-case, we pick
upper-case,
> otherwise lower-case.

Microsoft's System.URI class uses upper-case.  What do others use?

/paulc

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329