Re: content negotiation anti-principle

On Sunday 05 January 2003 02:18 pm, Julian Reschke wrote:
> a) Use content negotiation, and supply whenever possible a content location
> header that gives you the URL of a language-specific resource (this is what
> Apache does)

This assumes that some partioning already exists (i.e. you have alternate
URI's for versions of content that differ only by language, not by content).
What many people have done in practice is issue a redirect to the URI that
would be returned in the Content-Location header.

I'm not sure that there is a good answer here... the minimalist answer is to
remove content negotiation altogether (and I'll note that much of the
original rationale for it no longer applies).

That doesn't resolve the "what is a resource?" issue though.... the only way
to solve that is to have some means to bind a URI to a given representation,
and that flies in the face of current wisdom.