RE: fragmentInXML-28: WSDL component designators

I think we could discuss the issues raised in this email as part of our
discussions of the following issue and action item:

2.3 Other issues
The TAG is likely to review action items associated with these issues.

rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6
Action DC 2003/02/06: Propose TAG response to XML Schema desideratum
(RQ-23)

since the WSDL WG is asking us how they should do nearly exactly what we
want the XML Schema WG to do e.g. provide URIs for "schema" components.

/paulc

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com

(non-normatively)
> a form of URIs for identifying WSDL abstract components.  The form we
> suggest is documented as an appendix to the WSDL specification [2].
It
> is similar to the work in Schema Component Designators [3].
>
> Each abstract WSDL component belongs to a namespace, declared in the
> WSDL file.  Each WSDL component has a local name, but (just as in
> Schema) this local name is not always sufficient to uniquely identify
> the component within the namesapce.  Each kind of component has its
own
> symbol space (message, portType, etc.), and some components are scoped
> to their parents (parts in a message).  To uniquely identify the
> abstract component requires a combination of the:
>   - namespace URI  [NSURI]
>   - symbol space  [SS]
>   - local name  [NAME]
>   - parent component's local name  [PNAME]
>   - grandparent component's local name  [GNAME]
>
> Our mechanism maps these items to an XPointer-Framework-compatible URI
> of the form:
>   {NSURI} # {SS} ( {GNAME} / {PNAME} / {NAME} )
>
> For example:
>   http://airline.wsdl/ticketagent/#operation(TicketAgent/listFlights)
>
> However, RFC 2396 states that the fragment identifier syntax is
> dependent upon the media type of the returned resource.  The WSDL
> namespace URI is not (necessarily) the same as the location of the
WSDL

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl12/wsdl12.html#wsdl