RE: [xmlProfiles-29] TAG recommendation for work on subset of XML 1.1

>> As far as I know, SOAP hasn't expressed a requirement for anything.

Looking back at the history of this issue [1], message [2] from David
Fallside officially describes the XMLP Working Group's rationale for
their use of a subset of XML.  And Mike Champion sent a message [3]
which gives the official W3C Web Services Architecture WG position
supporting the existence of this subset.

In addition your own message [4], gave an excellent rationale for why
SOAP used such a subset.

All of these inputs were important in convincing me as a TAG member to
support the TAG's recommendation [4] on this issue.  I invite
participants in this thread to review these earlier messages.

/paulc

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#xmlProfiles-29
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Dec/0119.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jan/0212.html
[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Nov/0171.html
[5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jan/0418.html

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com

XML
> 1.1
>

> Henry Thompson writes:
>
> >> I made the proposal in the form I did to catch
> >> all and only what I understood the SOAP
> >> requirements to be, but I suspect you're
> >> right that just skipping the whole thing is better.
>
> (speaking only for myself, not officially for the XMLP WG)
>
> As far as I know, SOAP hasn't expressed a requirement for anything.
SOAP
> is an application of XML.  It so happens that a legal implementation
of
> SOAP will never put a DOCTYPE or a PI into a SOAP message.  It also
won't
> put in an <animal:elephant> tag as a child of the <soap:envelope>;
neither
> is allowed by SOAP.   As far as I'm concerned neither restriction
directly
> represents or suggests a requirement for anything to be included in
future
> XML specifications.
>
> SOAP protocol bindings can use any representation they like as a wire
> format.  Some of those may not even have representations that could
> correspond to a DOCTYPE, implying that there is no way a receiver
could
> see one at all.  The interesting case, of course, is when the binding
> chooses to use an XML 1.x serialization, which is what the supplied
HTTP
> implementation does.   In that case, you could imagine a  buggy sender
> managing to transmit what is an otherwise legal SOAP message with a
> DOCTYPE or PI.  With the exception of one small exception that's
allowed
> only for performance, receivers receiving such representations must
> reflect errors >at the SOAP level<.  It's not an XML error, it's a
SOAP
> error.  Same as if an <animal:elephant> shows up.
>
> So, nothing in this includes a "SOAP requirement" as far as I know.
Some