Re: [xmlProfiles-29] TAG recommendation for work on subset of XML 1.1

Mike Champion <mike.champion@softwareag-usa.com> writes:

> Perhaps there is some way to accomodate Henry Thompson's suggestion that
> these be "conformance levels" rather than "profiles."  Maybe a "minimal"
> processor such as SOAP would parse but MUST NOT process entity
> declarations.  (Hmm, what would it do with references to those entities in
> the instance? SOAP's "draconian" approach may be much cleaner!).

Not cleaner, identical.  In the absence of declarations for entities
referenced in the instance, the instance is not well-formed.  On both
my proposal and any subset proposal without entity declarations, as
well as SOAP as it stands, no entities other than the "famous five"
would have declarations, so any reference to other than the "famous
five" would render a document ill-formed.

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team