Re: DeepLinking-25: Finding updated

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:35:40 +0000
To: www-tag@w3.org

At 05:03 PM 2/1/03 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>I have just published http://www.textuality.com/tag/DeepLinking2.html.

Nice!  I rather liked the building-and-doors analogy.

In reading this, getting to the final sections, I felt there might have
been a more emphatic counterpoint between "Resource Access is an Issue of
Public Policy", and the stated conclusion that identification is not
("Attempts at the public-policy level to limit the usage, transmission and
publication of URIs at the policy level are inappropriate").

Also, I did wonder if the conclusion 'Since "Deep Linking" is the only kind
of linking the software recognizes, ...' was rather "preaching to the
converted" by its use of the technical term "deep linking".  I'm not sure
who is the ultimate intended audience for this, but I'm assuming there's a
message here that we want to convey to public policy influencers.  As such,
I'm thinking it may be clearer to say something more like "Web design has
only one kind of link, and cannot distinguish between the supposed
different ways of identifying a web page."

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>