Re: New URI scheme talk in RSS-land

From: <dib@dib-online.info>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:43:16 +0100
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM

Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM> wrote:
> / "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> was heard to say:
> | 2.  People who click on things are used to getting
> |    back a page or opening a dialog.  Autosubscribing
> |    based on a click seems like a bad idea.  It doesn't
>
> It would also be a violation of web architecture as GETs are supposed
> to be safe :-)

Can someone clarify/explain this?

My reading of the web architecture draft is that your server MAY NOT
infer anything from the fact that my client retreived a feed
representation (e.g.: it shouldn't add me to a ('push') email list).

That's very different from saying that my client MAY NOT then do
something with that representation once retrieved (e.g.: add it to a
local list, thereby subscribing me to a ('pull') Atom/RSS/whatever
feed).

Rather than being a matter of web architecture, isn't that latter option
down to me, firmly in the realm of which client I choose to use and how
I choose to configure/empower it?

Sincerely,

    David Bruce