RE: New URI scheme talk in RSS-land

From: <dib@dib-online.info>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:28:16 +0100
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: dareo@microsoft.com

Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com> wrote:
> It isn't about seeing the XML source code, it is about the fact
> that you can no longer present ATOM feeds in the web browser
> (e.g. using CSS or XSLT as a couple of people have proposed doing[0,1])
> without lying about its MIME type.
>
> [0] http://www.seairth.com/mota/index.xml
> [1] http://www.shellen.com/sandbox/atom-info-proposal.html

But to quote from [1], for example:

 " The problem I am proposing we solve is for the vast majority
 " who will likely click on an XML, Atom button or syndication link
 " without a newsreader installed.  This is intended to inform users
 " what they are viewing and reroute them to further information.

In other words, those proposals are only trying to present feeds
in browsers as a fall-back for those who don't have a feed-reader.
Those users shouldn't be affected.

Those who do have feed-readers didn't want to look at the feed itself
anyway (except for testing; those folks can right-click-save), so it's
not an issue for them either.

Sincerely,

    David Bruce