From: sandro@roke.hawke.org on behalf of Sandro Hawke
Sent: Sat 12/6/2003 12:01 PM
To: Dare Obasanjo
Cc: Michael Mealling; Dan Brickley; Tim Bray; www-tag @ w3. org
Subject: Re: New URI scheme talk in RSS-land

Ah.  I get it.  This is just like the "Send To Printer" link on some
web pages, which saves me having to get out a peice of paper and a
pencil and write a lot of stuff down, or press Ctl-P, or something.
On MapQuest, the URL is "javascript:window.print()" which seems about
right.   Javascript is one of a couple ways to make browsers do
completely arbitrary and unpredictable (and very cool) things.

This kind of thing should be a POST and appear as a button, not a GET
and appear as underlined text (or however else users are used to safe
operations appearing).  How about it POSTs to the server saying "this
client wants to get your feed" and the server sends back some content
which, via javascript, 386 machine code [1], a new mime type or
whatever says "Sorry, I'm not going to bother keeping track of you and
sending it so you, but you can poll this address (________) as often
as you want, and see if it's changed."

     -- sandro

[1] I hope it's obvious enough where I'm being sarcastic and where I'm
    being serious here.