RE: New URI scheme talk in RSS-land

From: Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:09:06 -0800
To: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>, "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: "www-tag @ w3. org" <www-tag@w3.org>

If we have a MIME type that always involves invoking a separate application when a user clicks on a feed how does one perform HTTP GETs on the feed to view the XML content in their browser then? So does this mean servers have to use separate MIME types for the same file or that the assumption is that no one will ever want to click on a feed and see the actual content in their web browser? Both seem like gross hacks to me.
Then again I don't have the "HTTP URIs can solve every problem" religion so this may just be a problem with me.
Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the Earth, minus 40% inheritance tax.